The Department of Education is looking to open a Career and Technical Education high school in the Bronx in the fall, called the “Bronx Academy for Software Engineering. This school’s curriculum will focus on preparing students to enter the field of software engineering. In order to spread the word and garner attention for this school there will be two open houses held for interested parents family, and students.
Thursday April 4th, from 5pm to 8pm, at Sunshine Bronx (in the Banknote Building in Hunts Point, 890 Garrison Avenue)
Wednesday April 10th, from 5pm to 8pm, at Facebook’s midtown east office (335 Madison Ave, between 43rd and 44th Streets)
Each open house has three sessions which last one hour each. Student and families should RSVP by going through the website at http://bronxsoftware.org/.
Bronx Academy for Software Engineering (BASE)
Opening fall 2013
Quick facts about BASE
• Opening with 115 ninth graders in fall of 2013 in the Grace Dodge campus near Fordham University
• Unscreened intake: any eight grader can apply and get in
• Students take four years of computer science, including programming, application design and software development
• Four-year CTE program – graduates will be ready for college or entry into the industry
• Students build portfolios to show mastery of key skills and content
• Advisory class lets students get to know each other, teachers and themselves
• Clubs include 3D printing, art, sports, and manga.