Thursday, June 9, 2016

Katrina Asante Withdraws Her Candidacy for the 36th State Senate District Inbox x



    Katrina Asante released the following statement after withdrawing her candidacy for the 36th State Senate District.

“After much reflection and many discussions with my family and supporters, I have decided to withdraw my name for consideration for the 36th New York State Senate race. I am truly honored by all of the support I have received during these last few months, but it has become clear to me that I would not be able to run the campaign my community deserves. This experience has given me the opportunity to grow deeper roots in my community, meet people who are making a difference in our neighborhoods and bring attention to the many issues my community still needs addressed.  I will be forever grateful for that. 

This decision does not in any way lessen my commitment to serving our district and being a tireless advocate for the issues that matter to us most.  

Moving forward, I believe we need a leader in the 36th Senate District who not only understands the needs of this community, but is committed to serving our constituency and fighting for the issues that can make a difference in our neighborhoods. Jamaal Bailey and I share many of the same values and positions. We both grew up in this district, have dedicated most of our professional lives to public service and agree on the main issues that need to be addressed for our community, such as education for our youth and quality jobs. The people of the 36th Senate District are vibrant, strong and hardworking, and their leader should reflect all of those qualities. 

I sincerely thank all of those who supported my candidacy, especially the constituents of the 36th district, who I will continue to call my friends and neighbors.  I would also like to thank the Stonewall Democratic Club of NYC for endorsing my candidacy and believing that I would be a vigorous fighter for equal rights for all people by helping tear down the shadows of ignorance. 

While I will not get the opportunity to serve as a State Senator at this time, I clearly understand that my help is still needed.  My commitment to help open doors for those who are deserving and are facing many of the same challenges I faced during my times of struggle remains unchanged. 

I look forward to continuing the work to make the Bronx a great place to live. Thank you all again."

No comments:

Post a Comment