Re-Investigation of Killing Followed Bronx DA Darcel D. Clark’s Dropping of Charges Against Enger Javier in 2016
Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark today announced that, after a thorough reinvestigation of the murder of Hansel Arias, two Bronx men have been indicted for fatally stabbing Arias on August 19, 2012 in the Claremont section of the Bronx.
District Attorney Clark said, “After I moved to dismiss the case against Enger Javier in February, 2016, Bronx Homicide started a re-investigation of the crime, and I assigned a new Assistant District Attorney to the case. They re-interviewed witnesses and re-examined physical evidence. We re-examined the killing of Hansel Arias very carefully and we would not be pressured or hurried to a conclusion.
“We needed to make sure that we could bring justice and a semblance of closure to Hansel Arias’ family. Now, two men will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for this brutal crime.”
District Attorney Clark said that defendants, Jose Rodriguez, AKA “Bebo,” 24, of 184 East 164th Street and Jesus Reyes, AKA “Cibao,” AKA Darinso Marte, 26, of 291 East 162 Street were arraigned today before Bronx Supreme Court Justice George Villegas. They were remanded and are due back in court on September 5, 2017.
The defendants were indicted on second-degree Murder, first-degree Manslaughter and first-degree Gang Assault. They face up to life in prison if convicted.
According to the investigation, on August 19, 2012, at about 2:15 a.m., the defendants, members of the Trinitarios gang, were part of a large group that had been dispersed by police and then re-congregated near 1645 Webster Avenue.
Arias was asked about his gang affiliation and an argument broke out, and Arias was attacked by several people. According to the investigation, Rodriguez allegedly grabbed a knife from Reyes and allegedly stabbed Arias in the chest, killing him.
An indictment is an accusatory instrument and not proof of a defendant’s guilt.