Saturday, August 5, 2017


Victims Suffered Severe Injuries 

  Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark today announced that three Bronx men have been sentenced to prison for a gang assault that inflicted serious injuries on two men who were later revealed to be undercover NYPD detectives. 

   District Attorney Clark said, “Surveillance video of this assault depicts a ruthless rampage against two men who in actuality were on the job serving our city as NYPD detectives. The defendants relentlessly beat the victims. I hope these sentences serve as some measure of justice for them and their families.” 

  District Attorney Clark said the defendants, Rafael Gonzalez, 33, of 333 East 181 St., Lorenzo Shoy, 26, of 2130 Tiebout Ave., and Rigoberto Fonseca, 24, of 2365 Lorillard Place, were sentenced on August 2, 2017 before Bronx Supreme Court Justice Robert Neary. Gonzalez was sentenced to eight-and-a-half years plus five years post-release supervision, Shoy was sentenced to two consecutive terms of five-and-a-half years plus two years postrelease supervision, and Fonseca was sentenced to five-and-a-half years plus four years postrelease supervision. The defendants were found guilty by a jury of Attempted Gang Assault first-degree on June 21, 2017. 

  According to trial testimony, on the morning of August 16, 2014, inside a store at 305 East 181 Street, the defendants, joined by several other men, repeatedly struck an undercover NYPD detective who was part of a “buy and bust” operation. The victim suffered head injuries and required surgery on his shoulder. Another undercover who rushed to help was also attacked and suffered a broken orbital bone as well as severe welts and bruising to his face.

  Two other defendants in this case have been sentenced: Michael Gonzalez, who initiated the assault and struck one victim with brass knuckles, pleaded guilty to Attempted Gang Assault in the first-degree and other charges and was sentenced to five years in prison; and Natequan Graham pleaded guilty to second-degree Assault and was sentenced to one year in jail. Another defendant, James Fields, will be sentenced on August 9, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment