Thursday, November 22, 2018

STATEMENTS FROM DOI COMMISSIONER MARK G. PETERS - RE: MAYORS FIRING OF HIM


FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2018

  Earlier today I was informed that the Mayor has fired me as DOI Commissioner. Per the City Charter, I have until next Wednesday to respond and I will do so in writing. For now, let me say that serving as DOI Commissioner has been the greatest professional honor of my life. DOI’s work over the past five years has exposed corruption and misconduct and forced serious systematic reforms in multiple agencies. 

 The staff at DOI are among the most talented in law enforcement and it has been an honor to work with them. I expect that despite my departure they will continue the multiple investigations regarding misconduct now pending in the agency without fear or favor.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2018

 Pursuant to Chapter 34 of the City Charter, which offers the Commissioner of Investigation “an opportunity of making a public explanation” prior to being removed by the Mayor, DOI Commissioner Mark G. Peters sent an eleven page letter to Council Speaker Corey Johnson and Council Investigations Committee Chair Ritchie Torres.


No comments:

Post a Comment