BRONX MAN INDICTED FOR FATALLY BEATING INTRUDER WITH METAL ROD
Defendant Chased and Beat Victim After Wife Saw Him in Backyard
Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark today announced that a Bronx man has been indicted for first-degree Manslaughter for fatally beating a man who had intruded in his backyard.
District Attorney Clark said, “The defendant allegedly beat the intruder with a metal rod, leaving him with multiple injuries, including massive blunt force trauma to the head. The beating happened down the street from the defendant’s home.”
District Attorney Clark said the defendant, Troy George, 54, of 834 East 223rd Street, was arraigned today on first-degree Manslaughter before Bronx Supreme Court Justice Margaret Clancy. Bail was continued at $100,000 cash/$100,000 bond and the defendant is due back in court on February 10, 2020
According to the investigation, at midnight on September 20, 2019, the defendant’s wife spotted the victim, Harold Bates, 29, in her home’s backyard, and told the defendant. He came out of the house and confronted Bates. The victim fled and the defendant ran after him down the street. He hit him 10 times in the head and about the body with a metal rod. Bates was pronounced dead at Montefiore Medical Center a few hours after the incident.
An indictment is an accusatory instrument and not proof of a defendant’s guilt.
MAJOR DRUG TRAFFICKER SENTENCED TO 12 YEARS IN PRISON
Defendant Trafficked Large Amounts Of Cocaine; 176 Lbs. Were Seized During Joint Investigation With NYPD, HSI and DEA
Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark today announced that a Brooklyn man has been sentenced to 12 years in prison after pleading guilty to Operating as a Major Trafficker for distributing large amounts of cocaine in the Bronx and elsewhere.
District Attorney Clark said, “We will stop traffickers of any illicit drugs that devastate lives and neighborhoods. This defendant flooded an area of the Bronx with cocaine and now he will serve serious time in prison.”
District Attorney Clark said the defendant, Alvon Pierre, 45 of Brooklyn, was sentenced today to 12 years in prison and five years post-release supervision by Bronx Supreme Court Justice John W. Carter. The defendant pleaded guilty on October 30, 2019 to Operating as a Major Trafficker and third-degree Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance.
According to the year-long investigation by the Bronx District Attorney’s Office, NYPD Bronx Gang Squad, Drug Enforcement Administration and Homeland Security Investigations, the defendant trafficked large quantities of cocaine, which was sold in bulk to distributors, and which in turn was sold in $10 and $20 packets, sometimes in crack form, on Valentine Avenue between the Grand Concourse and East 187 th Street.
On February 28, 2019, investigators seized 176 pounds (80 kilos) of cocaine with a street value of almost $3 million in a vehicle and packed in suitcases in an apartment on 191 st Street in Flushing, Queens that was connected to Pierre and a co-defendant.
Pierre was one of 19 people indicted earlier this year for trafficking cocaine sold in the Bronx and elsewhere, and club drugs sold at nightspots throughout New York City. In addition to Pierre, seven defendants have also pleaded guilty, to various narcotics possession charges.
District Attorney Clark thanked NYPD Detective Luke Maddock of the Bronx Gang Squad for his work in the investigation.
FORMER RIKERS ISLAND INMATE SENTENCED FOR ASSAULTING NYC DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION OFFICER WITH WALKING CANE
Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark today announced a former Rikers Island inmate has been sentenced to two to four years in prison for beating a New York City Department of Correction Officer with a cane. The sentence will run concurrently with a prison term the defendant is serving.
District Attorney Clark said, “The defendant used a walking cane to hit a Correction Officer in the face, splitting the inside and outside of the victim’s lip. Attacks against DOC Officers on the job will not be tolerated and this inmate has been held accountable.”
District Attorney Clark said the defendant, Malik Cargill, 26, was sentenced today to two to four years in prison by Bronx Supreme Court Justice James McCarty. The sentence will run concurrently with a prison term of up to 15 years the defendant is serving for his underlying cases. Cargill pleaded guilty to Attempted Assault in the second degree on September 4, 2019.
According to the investigation, on August 8, 2018 in the Anna M. Kross Center, the defendant was in the facility’s yard and asked the victim, a Department of Correction Officer, if he could go back inside. The DOC Officer refused his request because of security risks. Cargill became angry and hit the Officer in the face with the walking cane the defendant was using. Cargill ran away
District Attorney Clark thanked her Detective Investigators Timothy Gernon and Monisara Brahm, as well as Investigators Daniel Monaco and Scott Frank from the Correction Intelligence Bureau.