Tuesday, July 26, 2011

STATEMENT FROM BOROUGH PRESIDENT DIAZ
RE: Appointment of Jesse Mojica as Executive Director
For Family and Community Engagement at the Department of Education

 
“For the past two years, Jesse Mojica has served my administration as Director of Education & Youth Services with distinction, and my entire staff and I are sorry to see him go. Jesse has been a tireless advocate for the educational well-being of the Bronx and its children, first as a parent, then as this office’s appointment to the Panel for Educational Policy and finally as our education director, a position through which he has distinguished himself as one of the foremost education policy experts in the City.

“His passion will be missed, and our loss is the Department of Education’s, and in fact the entire City’s, considerable gain. I join my entire staff and the people of the Bronx in wishing him the best of luck in this new endeavor,” said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the writer of this blog and a former member of the Chancellor's Parent Advisory Council I must add the following-

I can only say that having been in the mix of it when Chancellor Joel Klein came in nine years ago, things at the DOE (Tweed) went from bad to worse, and the revolving door policy began. I knew many parents who were bought off by receiving positions from parent coordinator, to the couple of parents who have had the position Mr. Mojica has been appointed to. In the end most of those parent leaders are now gone from the education system, just bought off with a short lived position. The smart ones like Joel Klein and Eva Moskowitz have gone on to where the real money is, that being charter schools. 
I was offered a position of Parent Team Leader at the Region level, which I refused so that I would not sell out and become part of the problem. As you see today I continue to be an advocate for the city's public school children, and can only wish that Mr. Mojica has a longer tenure in the position than those before him. I know exactly what is in store for him.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment