Friday, March 20, 2015

Public Advocate James to Appeal Judge Verdict on Eric Gatmer Grand Jury Opening








  
My fellow New Yorkers,

This afternoon, a State Supreme Court justice ruled against releasing the evidence presented to the grand jury in the Eric Garner case. As you may recall, I am one of the plaintiffs making the case in court that what transpired in the Garner case should not be kept from the public; that transparency will strengthen, not weaken our criminal justice system.

A short while ago, I announced that I am immediately appealing the judge's decision and will continue to press our legal case.

I am doing so because the only way to restore the public's faith in our criminal justice system is by bringing sunlight to a system that has operated in secrecy for far too long.

Like millions of Americans around the country, I was horrified by what I saw in the videos in the Garner case and simply amazed that it wasn't enough to lead to a fair trial. Simply put: the results in the courtroom did not match the reality we saw with our own eyes.

Together, we will continue to fight for justice in this case and broader reforms that will strengthen our entire system of justice.

Sincerely,
Letitia James
New York City Public Advocate

No comments:

Post a Comment