Saturday, June 16, 2018

News From Congressman Eliot Engel


Engel Announces $244,789,502 in Title I Funding for Bronx Schools

  Congressman Eliot Engel, a top Member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, announced the U.S. Department of Education has allocated $244,789,502 in federal funds to schools in the Bronx as part of the Fiscal Year 2018 Title I allocations.

Part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, the Title I program provides financial assistance to school districts with high concentrations of children from low-income families to help ensure that all children meet state academic standards.

“All children, regardless of race, income, language, or ability, should be given an equal playing field and access to the best possible education,” Engel said. “I have believed and fought for that ever since my days as a public school teacher. Unfortunately, our country faces an achievement gap between lower-income students and their more well-off peers. The Title I program provides critical resources to our local school districts to give underserved students the best possible chance to succeed in the classroom and close the gap.

“I will continue to fight for robust funding for our public schools, and advocate strongly for funding to help students achieve their highest potential.”

Engel Receives "Man Power Award" from Change a Life Ministries in the Bronx

  On Sunday, June 10th Congressman Eliot Engel was awarded the “Man Power Award” by Change a Life Ministries for his outstanding work in both Washington and the community. The award was presented by Pastor Peggy Smalls at a ceremony held at Change a Life Ministries in the Bronx.

“Our Congressman has served with honor and grace, for there is no one greater. I present him with the 2018 Man Power Man of Honor Award,” said Change a Life Ministries Pastor Peggy Smalls.

“I am so proud to receive the Man Power Award and I want to thank Pastor Smalls and everyone at Change a Life Ministries for bestowing it upon me,” Congressman Engel said. “Representing my home borough as a Member of Congress has been my great honor. I have always said that when it comes to my constituents, no problem, care, or concern is too big or too small. I have worked hard to put the interests of the community first and will continue to do all I can to strengthen our neighborhoods.”

No comments:

Post a Comment