Monday, April 1, 2019

WILLIAMS TO EXPLORE 2021 MAYORAL RUN - April 1, 2019


  Public Advocate Jumaane D. Williams today announced he would explore a run for Mayor in the 2021. Williams assumed office as the Public Advocate for New York City two weeks ago after winning a February 26th special election for the seat. He joins a crowded field of current and former elected officials vying to succeed Mayor Bill de Blasio, who is term limited.

Williams, who ran for Speaker in 2017, Lieutenant Governor in 2018, and Public Advocate in 2019, looks to pursue a robust campaign schedule through 2020 and 2021.

"When I stepped into my new office in the David N. Dinkins Municipal Building, I looked down at City Hall and thought 'I wonder what the view's like from there?'" said Williams in announcing his decision. "I like running, and I've gotten pretty good at it. I'll have my hands full running in this year's Public Advocate primary in June and general election in November, but after that I'm ready to dive in."

Council Member Brad Lander announced his support for Williams' candidacy, saying "He's running for what? Mayor? Sure, count me in."

The role of Public Advocate is seen as a natural stepping stone to becoming Mayor despite that occurring exactly once in history. Williams has sought to change that flawed perception, and believes he can do so by 2021.

Williams is not expected to immediately begin campaign events, first taking a trip to Iowa to discuss the prevalence of corn products in vegan cafes.

Should the Public Advocate ever leave his post to run for Mayor, a special election would be called to fill the position of Public Advocate, the winner of which would then need to run in a primary and general election the following year. If the winner of that race is a current elected official, there would be a special election to replace them, and that victor would then join the Public Advocate on the primary and general ballot, thus ensuring New York City has plenty of opportunity to realize the need for electoral reform.

"I want to be the voice of the people, and despite my constant assertions that I will not be running for Mayor in 2021, the voices of the people continue to ask the question. So I've changed my answer," said Williams. 

He added, "I look forward to continuing to serve as your Public Advocate through 2021 and wish everyone a happy April Fool's Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment