Monday, July 13, 2020

Ruben Diaz Sr. to Call it Quits at the End of His City Council Term December 31, 2021. Joining Mayor Bill de Blasio who will be Term-Limited out of Office.


Ruben Diaz, Sr. Head Shot
Here is the official statement from current City Councilman Ruben Diaz Sr. 

What You Should Know

By Councilman Rev. Ruben Diaz
District 18, Bronx County
 
Everything Has Its End


You should know that "Everything Has Its End" is a (Salsa) tune, made famous and sung by the late, great, Puerto Rican salsa singer Héctor Juan Pérez Martínez, better known as Héctor Lavoe. This song hints at the fact that all things, good or bad, do not last forever. Everything has its end!


My beloved reader, I have taken this famous tune, not only because it’s fantastic lyrics, but because it is true to life, that everything has its finality.  So, I chose it’s theme to inform you of my official decision.  


After an in-depth analysis of my life as a public servant for many years, I perused through those years and my trajectory of accomplishments on behalf of serving my community and they are as follows:


1. When the Bronx was burning and everything was in ruins, abandoned, when hopelessness seemed to be the norm, and the Bronx was compared to post 2nd world war Germany, I remained and decided to make a difference. Here is a list of some of those projects that helped in the revitalization of the Bronx.

a) The Rev. Ruben Diaz Plaza Housing Complex located at the corner of 163rd Street and James Polite.


b) Rev. Ruben Diaz Apartments located on Westchester Avenue, between Intervale Ave. and Kelly street.


c) The first transportation program for the frail elderly and people with disabilities: The South Bronx Senior Transportation Network, located at 910 East 172nd Street.


d) Three (3) Centers serving various vital programs for the elderly: Casa Boricua, located at 172nd Street, corner of Southern Boulevard, The Millbrook and Betances Senior Citizen Centers, both located on St. Ann’s Avenue.


e) The creation of the Home Attendant program, The Christian Community In Action Inc. This program provided 1,300 jobs. It employed a large immigrant population from the Dominican and Honduran communities. This was at a time, when they were not well received in New York.  This program served more than 1,400 disabled and frail elderly people. This program also employed 28 people in administrative positions.


f) The Christian Community Ambulette Transportation Program. Located at 910 East 172nd Street, Bronx. This program served the sick and disabled transporting them to and from their medical appointments.


g) Also, the establishment of The Christian Community Neighborhood Church: Located at 1437 Longfellow Avenue between Jennings and Freeman Streets in the Bronx. Serving the spiritual and social needs of Bronx residents as their Pastor for 28 years.


h) The New York Hispanic Clergy Organization, which was founded to educate the Christian Evangelical Community in the political process, while also providing humanitarian aid in the natural disasters like, hurricanes, earthquakes of the world.
          
           
i) I have faithfully served Bronx residents as their State Senator for sixteen (16) years creating legislation that would defend and improve the quality of life for the district I was elected to  serve. It goes without saying that all the while leaving my wife to fend for herself at home, while duty called me to session in Albany, N.Y.


j) The last (3) years I have served as a Member of the City Council where I have had to defend my principles, values ​​and faith, while being a "Punching bag" by friends and foes alike.  I dare say that I was used by some as the “Hen that laid the Golden Eggs” to help them raise funds for their campaigns. Nonetheless I remained focused and continued to work for the betterment of my district and on improving the quality of life of those I was elected to represent.  


I remained steadfast and brought many projects and programs.  I did so, with my head held high, defending those in need regardless of race, sexual orientation, political orientation, nationality or religion, regardless if they resided in my district or not, my office welcomed and served all.


After serious analysis, of which I spent in prayer with God, family, ministers and after a political analysis, I have made the decision to follow the example of my two sons. My biological son Ruben Diaz Jr., and my political son Marcos Crespo.
    
                
I will forever be grateful to all those that have stood by me.  My children, Damaris, Samuel and Ruben Jr., my staff, all the wonderful volunteers, supporters, friends, ministers, taxi drivers, members and leaders of the Christian Community Neighborhood Church and especially to my wife Leslie who has been the most affected and who silently suffered through it all.


I have been blessed to have served with honor and I am grateful to God for having allowed me this privilege. With the help of God and my Lord Jesus Christ, I intend to finish out this term as a Member of the City Council which comes to an end on December 31, 2021.  


And then in the words of the Apostle Paul I will say: 


 “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:7-8 )


I am NYC Councilman Rev. Ruben Diaz and this is What You Should Know.

EDITOR"S NOTE:

It would appear that Councilman Ruben Diaz Sr. already knows that he will not win the 15th Congressional seat, that he will not be able to win the city council seat again, and that Rank Choice Voting will provide the manner in which he would lose.

We say to Councilman Ruben Diaz Sr. step down immediately, rather than be a lame duck who is waiting his time out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment