Monday, October 5, 2020

Statement from Andy King Following NYC Council Decision

 

 I am very saddened and disheartened by the decision made by the New York City Council in today’s Stated meeting. As a representative of the 12th District in the Bronx, it is very disappointing to be removed from a position that has allowed me to serve my community for almost 8 years. 


It is clear to me from the narrative spun by my colleagues today, in casting their vote to remove me, that they did not consult the transcripts of the hearing that was held by the Committee on Standards and Ethics. It is also apparent that they did not review any of the evidence presented against me during the hearing. 


Many of my colleagues condemned sexual harassment before casting their vote.  I like them, repudiate sexual harassment in any form, and have always worked to ensure that woman’s rights are protected, supported and enriched.  This case had nothing to do with sexual harassment. In the words of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, it was a high tech lynching orchestrated by my political enemies to satisfy their agenda. 


The people of my district will not be disenfranchised nor dictated to by the mighty and powerful, who work to suppress the voices of black and brown people across this city. Not one member of the City Council in the history of this body has been expelled for conduct that does not constitute a crime. I will be addressing this disparity with my lawyers, and working hard to protect the rights of the people in my district— whose voices were stolen and silenced today. 


Please know that I appreciate all of the prayers from everyone who has supported me over the years, and those who continue to support me. Onward to Court we march. God Bless.” -Andy King


No comments:

Post a Comment