Tuesday, January 31, 2023


Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Congress

In case you missed it:

Late last week, while debating an amendment to restrict gas and oil companies who engage in stock buybacks from leasing federal land, Republican Rep. Jeff Duncan attempted to come for Alexandria by telling her to “educate yourself” about natural gas and how it’s helped America “keep emissions low”. But our Congresswoman wasn’t having it.

Rather than admit that they’re fighting to protect corporate profits at the expense of our communities’ health and our planet’s ability to sustain us, Republicans have turned to name calling and character-based insults.

But Alexandria lets these insults fall to the wayside because she knows that our movement is on the right side of history. If we are going to protect our planet and our families, then we must move away from fossil fuels and toward green energy.

Here’s the full transcript of what Alexandria had to say about Rep. Duncan’s attack on the House floor:

“I mean I understand in this body it’s not the first time that it seems as though the opposing side can’t seem to be able to debate the issue, and so they must come after my character.”

“While I cannot control the fact that the other side seems to have made the assumption that I am uneducated, or what they may say about my worldview, one of the things that I can say is that while I may not work for Wall Street, that is true. I may not be here with the mission to increase profits for corporations, that is true.”

“My mission here is for the wellbeing and dignity of our family’s and our planet's future. For our children’s ability to live on this planet. That’s what this amendment is about. Moreover, when we talk about education, we should all take it upon ourselves in this body to educate ourselves on the science of the challenge of climate change that is before us. By around 2050 we are looking at, in western states, wildfires projected to further increase by 2 to 6 times. And that is just scratching the surface. Thank you and I yield back.”


Thank you,

Team AOC

No comments:

Post a Comment