Saturday, February 11, 2023

California Man Pleads Guilty To Submitting False Declarations To Court In $50 Million Lawsuit

 

 Damian Williams, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that ROVIER CARRINGTON pled guilty in Manhattan federal court before U.S. District Judge Valerie E. Caproni to submitting false declarations to the court in connection with a $50 million civil lawsuit. 

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said: “Rovier Carrington submitted fake evidence in court, knowingly swore that the fake evidence was true, and doubled down on his lies when confronted.  This conviction sends a message: when a party in civil litigation swears to tell the truth, breaking that oath has consequences.”

According to the Indictment and statements made in court proceedings and filings:

In a civil lawsuit that CARRINGTON filed in Manhattan federal court (the “Civil Case”), CARRINGTON sued Hollywood executives alleging that the executives had sexually assaulted him and that they had defrauded him in connection with a decision to refuse to produce CARRINGTON’s reality television program.  CARRINGTON sought damages of $50 million in the Civil Case. 

CARRINGTON submitted to the court several falsified emails (the “Faked Emails”) as exhibits to his amended complaint in the Civil Case, which included the following fabricated exchanges:

  • CARRINGTON: My mind is scrambled after last night. I can't remove “Our Jewish bodies” and “Call me Mr. [Executive-1]” from repeating in my head. I can’t properly sit down after being viciously assaulted yet again by that two-sided shit [Executive-1]. This was too far. Too damn far. I have cuts on my face and thighs from him forcing himself into me. That bastard can’t take NO for an answer and he remains using his title to force himself onto me.
  • CARRINGTON: Also, If [third party] thinks he can mute me like the others with an envelope filled with cash driving by his personal driver, he’s sadly mistaken. I get assaulted two days ago at the “Super 8” premiere by [Executive-1] who's been stalking me prior to this. Did [Executive-1] tell you he shows up at my place begging for me to be his private Boyfriend ? and say’s, “If I cared about my career I’d obey” ? He threaten my career becuase [sic] I want to work and not fly private with him or attend art museums when his trophy isn't there. This dude is newly married and doesn't comprehend he forces himself onto me. [Executive-1] clearly knows he's crossed the line after spitting in my face and grabbing my genitals while relaying “I'll never work again”.
  • CARRINGTON: Here’s the dramatic series I was discussing with you. I appreciate you finally moving forward with both shows. Especially with our contract in place.
    Executive-2: I’ll present the material to my business associates and we’ll figure out how to combine the reality show with the series. You keep me happy and we’ll do well together. :)

When confronted about the Faked Emails, CARRINGTON submitted a false affidavit to the court in the Civil Case, in which he swore under penalty of perjury that “Each and every email annexed to my Amended Complaint, and hereto, are forwarded copies of the original email I received, or exchanged, in the exact same condition, upon which the email was received, or exchanged . . . I have not doctored, fabricated, or altered, any of the emails annexed to my Amended Complaint, and hereto.”

The court in the Civil Case conducted a detailed investigation into whether the Faked Emails were real, which CARRINGTON tried to obstruct.  Among other things, CARRINGTON (i) deleted one of the email accounts from which he had purportedly sent some of the Faked Emails the day after he filed his amended complaint; (ii) deleted another email account from which he had purportedly sent some of the Faked Emails, after the court began its investigation, and then called the email provider to confirm that the account’s emails would never be accessible; and (iii) failed to appear in court for questioning about the Faked Emails.

The court in the Civil Case ultimately dismissed the Civil Case and imposed sanctions on CARRINGTON, ruling, “these emails were fabricated, and that was bad enough, but the deactivation of the accounts, the efforts undertaken to really foreclose what is necessary discovery in this case, and the stream of lies to me necessitate the sanctions that I am imposing.”

CARRINGTON, 34, of Los Angeles, California, pled guilty today to one count of submitting a false declaration to a court, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

The maximum potential sentence in this case is prescribed by Congress and is provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendant will be determined by the judge.  CARRINGTON is scheduled to be sentenced by Judge Caproni on June 1, 2023, at 3:00 p.m.

Mr. Williams praised the outstanding investigative work of the Special Agents of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York. 

No comments:

Post a Comment