Saturday, December 24, 2022

Michael Brady, Third Avenue Business Improvement District - An Honest Holiday Message


Dear Friends, Colleagues, and District Businesses:

Each morning for the past 7 years I have walked the South Bronx.  I begin on Bruckner Boulevard and end at the northern end of the District on 153rd Street and Third Avenue.  Typically, I am making notes on storefront vacancies, incidences of graffiti, malfunctioning street lights, sidewalk conditions, and visiting shop owners on the way to our office.

This morning was different. This morning I was walking behind a mother and son on their way to school and overheard a powerful message that resonated with the purpose of our organization, my personal work ethic, and the spirit of the holiday season. 

The son was asking why his mother is always fixing things - taking care of people on the street, picking up litter, or repairing things when they are broken.  The mother's response was simple and powerful. "Son, I learned a long time ago that we don't have to wait for other people to make things better.  If something is broken we can fix it ourselves.  We don't need to wait or ask for permission to make things better for our community."

This statement reminded me of why I got into the important work of community. Nearly 20 years ago, I started my work in the South Bronx, living in an old rectory at St. Augustine's Parish on 167th Street and Franklin Avenue doing community organizing and working to save local schools and churches from closure. At that time - as I am sure many would still agree - I was controversial. To quote a former nun commenting on my then very public argument with Cardinal Egan, "Mr. Brady's personality is electric, he seeks forgiveness instead of permission, and is moved by faith to get things done."

I say this not to prop myself up, but rather because over these many years, I have forgotten that lesson. I forgot about the power of community - or more likely, I have grown complacent and decided to work within systems and structures and politics to ask for permission and support to get things done.  I lost my figurative "mojo" for the sake of going with the flow and working within establishment systems.  And that is an error on my part that I will be remedying in 2023.

You see, that mother and son, reminded me of why we do our work.  We do it, not in the spirit of waiting or asking for permission, but we do it for community - for each other.

That message is how I have guided Third Avenue Business Improvement District over the past many years, and how I hope it will continue.  It is very easy to become hyper focused on the negative - on the barriers or challenges - but in this season of hope, this season where light triumphs over darkness, let us focus on recommitting our efforts to authentically build community. 

It is not in waiting for other people to do the work for us, or waiting for permission, or for funding - but in standing shoulder to shoulder and getting the work done for the greater good of each other and our City. My goal: To block the noise and gossip and fear mongering from our ears and to remain focused on getting the work done.

I have been privileged to serve our neighborhoods and double down on my commitment to do better in creating a path forward for the Bronx and New York City.

On behalf of the entire team and our Board Directors, I invite you to join me in not waiting to make our neighborhoods better - but to act. Have a Happy Holiday and blessed Christmas!

Sincerely,

Michael Brady
Third Avenue Business Improvement District

 

No comments:

Post a Comment