New York City Council Member
ERIC DINOWITZ
Proudly serving the neighborhoods of Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, Riverdale, Norwood, Van Cortlandt Village, Spuyten Duyvil, Wakefield, and Woodlawn.
11th Council District, Bronx · 277 West 231st, Bronx, NY 10463 · Tel: (718) 549 - 7300
This Edition: Remembering 9/11, Shana Tovah, Back to School, and much more...
Dear Neighbor:
This is a meaningful, yet heavy week for our community. On Thursday, we welcomed our students back for the first day of school. On Friday, we mark 25 years since September 11. And as the sun sets Friday evening, we begin Rosh Hashana, the start of the Jewish New Year. Remembrance and renewal are arriving almost on top of each other this year, and I want to share with you how our office is engaging with each moment.
Welcome Back to School
Thursday was the first day of the 2026-2027 school year for New York City public school students, and I couldn't be more excited for everything ahead. As a former teacher myself, the first day of school has always held a special place in my heart. It's a day full of nerves, new backpacks, and the kind of hope that only comes with a fresh start. I recorded a message for every student starting school this week, welcoming them back and letting them know our office is behind them all year long. You can watch it on our social media channels.
PS 77 and PS 19 Backpack Giveaways
![]() |
Shana Tova
![]() |
![]() |
At the Stated Meeting on Thursday, September 10th, I introduced three new resolutions and we passed a number of bills. You can read an in-depth description of each bill here, and read the summaries below.
Res 619 calls on the State to allow smaller public works projects to use design-build, helping the City complete projects like new park bathrooms faster and more cost-effectively.
The second, Res 620, calls on the Department of Education to offer the Seal of Civic Readiness in every school, giving more students access to civics coursework and project-based learning that prepares them to understand and participate in our democracy. This resolution will accompany a hearing I am chairing in October about Civic education in our schools.
The third, Res 621, calls on the State to require arts and music education in every New York school. Nearly 20% of NYC public schools lack an arts teacher. Arts education has its own inherent value, not just value in service of other academic subjects, and our students deserve meaningful arts education, not “art on a cart.”
Furthermore, the City Council passed a series of bills I co-sponsored. The first set of bills, sponsored by Council Member Oswald Feliz, requires chain restaurants to post clear warnings for menu items containing high amounts of sugar and sodium, respectively. This needed transparency will allow New Yorkers to make more informed decisions about their health.
In addition, I co-sponsored, and the City Council passed, a bill introduced by Council Member Kamillah Hanks, which requires the Department of Records and Information Services (DORIS) to report on historical African American burial sites across New York City. This report would virtually map known sites and identify potential unmarked sites for preservation. These are necessary efforts to help preserve the resting sites and tell the stories of black New Yorkers, who have all too often been neglected by history books and City governments in the past.
Moreover, I voted yes on several bills, including efforts to reduce neighborhood light pollution, respond more efficiently to dog waste epidemics, provide public notice of disruptive street work, and crack down on illegal cannabis sales in stores licensed to sell tobacco product. I also voted to pass resolutions celebrating the Feast of Saint Genarro and the Ferragosto Festival, as well as the impact of Italian immigrants on New York City, honoring the legacy of Alvin Ailey and Carmen de Lavallade, and and calling on Congress to pass the Performing Artist Tax Parity Act of 2025.
I voted to confirm the Mayoral appointments of Lisa Garcia and Dr. Dave A. Choksh to the New York City Land Bank and Board of Health, respectively.
I abstained on the appointment of John Mangin as Chair of the Board of Standards and Appeals. While Mr. Mangin has demonstrated a willingness to engage with local Council Members, his past views on development do not align with my approach or what I hear from the community members I represent.
With the BSA now having greater authority over development due to recent charter revisions, I believe its leadership must recognize that our neighborhoods have different needs than denser, more transit-rich parts of the city. That means considering community priorities such as family-sized apartments, parking, green infrastructure, and neighborhood context.
I sincerely hope Mr. Mangin proves my concerns unfounded and leads the BSA with sensitivity to the distinct needs of communities across our city.
I look forward to working with him to the benefit of our community, the Bronx, and our city.
You can read more about these pieces of legislation here.
Upcoming Events and Announcements
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
|










No comments:
Post a Comment