Thursday, September 21, 2023

Team Espaillat - Join me in welcoming President Biden

 

Join Me In Welcoming President Biden

Today, I will be proudly introducing President Joseph R. Biden at the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) Gala.

image of ...

When I came to Washington Heights from the Dominican Republic as a young boy, I was awe-struck and overwhelmed by all that the U.S. had to offer. I spent years in the back of a public-school classroom struggling with English, eventually mastering the language, and working my way through college.

Back then, I could not have imagined standing up in Washington D.C., speaking alongside the president of the United States.

I know my immigrant journey is unlikely – even impossible – in any other country of the world.

But the truth is, we have a lot of work before us.

You don’t need to look any further than the vitriol directed at asylum seekers or the xenophobia that continues to permeate corners of our country to know that the immigrant Dream I, and millions of other Americans benefited from, is under threat.

That’s why I am fighting so hard every day to make sure Congress doesn’t forget what built  America from the beginning: immigrants and the promise that if you work hard enough, you can survive and thrive right here.

I’ll be thinking about this when I introduce President Biden, and I know you’ll be right there with me, just as you have been for every step in this journey. 

Thank you for your support,

Adriano Espaillat
Member of Congress
Chair, Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute

No comments:

Post a Comment