Saturday, December 30, 2023

Former Council Member Marjorie Velázquez

 

Dear Neighbor,


It has been an honor to serve as Council District 13’s first Puerto Rican City Council representative. I’m so proud to not only have made history in this capacity, but to also serve in the first female-led, female majority body in the history of the New York City Council. It has been a great responsibility that I have not taken for granted, and my office has dedicated our time to working to improve the quality of life throughout the district. I would like to thank the incredible staff that has been part of our office, Adrienne, Alex, Amanda, Andy, Edwin, Jackie, Melissa, Mike, Nick, Stefanie, Stephenie, and Tamara.


Many of us grew up in this City and did not see ourselves reflected in our representatives. Together we have shattered the glass ceiling and created a diverse coalition of legislators; mothers, nurses, teachers, lawyers, accountants, and so many unique perspectives coming together to serve our City. While we have accomplished a great deal, I know that we have a great responsibility to ensure that other women and those who haven’t had access before, are offered a seat at the table.


Every day, my office addressed community concerns, providing resources and supportive services. I take great pride in the work we have done to address the ongoing housing crisis,  improve public safety, and keep our community clean. I secured incredible budget wins, including updated medical equipment at Jacobi Hospital, mental health resources, youth services, campus enhancements for our local schools, and resources for our first responders, including the New York City Fire Department (FDNY), Edgewater Park Volunteer Hose Co. No. 1, and NYPD precincts.


I’m so proud of what I have accomplished in office, and I am committed to continuing to serve our community. I wish you all a happy & healthy holiday season.


Sincerely,

    Former Council Member Marjorie Velázquez

No comments:

Post a Comment