Sunday, January 9, 2022

Governor Hochul Joins Mayor Adams to Provide Update on Apartment Fire in the Bronx


 






Governor Hochul: "When I prepare my budget this week, I'm going to establish a victims compensation fund for the individuals I just sat with and said I will not forget you. There'll be money to help them find new housing, for burial costs, for whatever they need. We'll take care of them because that's what we do here in the State of New York. We are here for the Bronx and we're here for anyone who needs us." 


 Thank you, Mayor. We are indeed a city in shock. It's impossible to go into that room where scores of families who are in such grief, who are in pain, to see it in a mother's eyes as I held her, who lost her entire family. It's hard to fathom what they're going through, but I went table to table, help children make their ramen noodles and eat their pizza and let them know one thing - and the Mayor and I are united in this - we will not forget you. We will not abandon you. We are here for you. So, your elected leaders from your Senator Schumer on down to our council members are united here to support this community to say tonight is the night of tragedy and pain and tomorrow we begin to rebuild. 

We rebuild their lives and give them hope, especially those who came all the way from Africa, Gambia, in search of a better life right here in this great borough, the borough of the Bronx. They're part of our family and when I prepare my budget this week, I'm going to establish a victims compensation fund for the individuals I just sat with and said I will not forget you. There'll be money to help them find new housing, for burial costs, for whatever they need. 

We'll take care of them because that's what we do here in the State of New York. We are here for the Bronx and we're here for anyone who needs us. And I thank the leadership of our mayor, our Fire Commissioner Nigro and all the men and women in uniform who went into a building, not knowing their own fate, and they still went in there and rescued people. 

And that's why I'm so proud to be the Governor of a state like this. You cannot keep us down ever. We are united together. Thank you. And may God bless the individuals who are suffering and the souls of those we lost, particularly the children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment